Bag? What Bag? Swimming Edition

 I began swimming two weeks post ileostomy surgery because I couldn't run yet and also swimming is a light core exercise, but mostly because swimming is something my son and I have been doing together regularly for years. It's a great way for us to spend time together while having fun and getting exercise all in one, and I was getting bored with just walking....sitting on the sidelines is a tough thing for me to do! So only a few weeks with Bob and not knowing a whole lot about this yet, I felt I needed something to both conceal and support my appliance. One of my hospital stoma nurses was great and told me I could get a bandeau and use it as an ostomy wrap, and I thought this was a great idea! Bandeau tops are very inexpensive, and I found a two pack of "one size fits all" bandeau tops on Amazon for less than $10! I'll post pics below to show how I use the top under a blousy tankini two piece suit. This works great to support and conceal, and the "wrap" never rides up or rolls and stays in place nicely....but the extra fabric of the tankini does cause drag in the water, so I wanted to get a one piece suit...but I was afraid it would show my appliance. Really, i shouldn't be worrying about my pouch showing through but, to me, it's easier to just avoid any awkward looks or questions so I can focus on swimming with confidence. I learned that patterns and colors are the way to go. A busy suit does the job and a Speedo competition suit is tight enough to support the appliance and really hold it together. Oh another thing, I usually swim with the mini pouch, but when I ran out I just wore my pouch sideways until I got my next mini supply. One great reason I use the two piece pouching system is because I'm able to change the bag orientation, plus the ability to change the pouch without having to change the whole system every time.

This is the Zanana Outfitters one size fits all bandeau top, which is both supportive and stretchy for my pouch. 

From the side angle you cannot see the bandeau or tell that I have an ostomy 

Even in the front you cannot see the bandeau top or the ostomy pouch

This is the Speedo Stars and Bars Recordbreaker - ProLyte Navy D36, which I really lucked out on because it was being sold for only $15.88 when I ordered from Amazon!!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Days 22-25! 30 Day Running Challenge

Day 26! 30 Day Running Challenge

I Still Feel Like a Sloth!