Challenges of Daily Running with Bob

 Let's talk about activity in the summer with an ileostomy, because the humidity and daily sweating do compromise the appliance. I wanna keep things real here, not always glorify having an ostomy as it's not perfect. I know I have been sweating under the flange because I had white specs on the barrier extenders showing where they absorbed moisture, and the ring that molds around Bob to create a seal was expanding. I just changed my appliance yesterday morning and right after my run this evening while writing that blog post, I felt pressure behind my stoma...ostomates know this feeling as the start of a leak behind the barrier. It seems the running stimulated Bob to excrete my dinner very quickly when I stopped running, so fast that output built up around the stoma and pushed around it behind the barrier. Both days I got super sweaty. I also need to figure out better timing with my meals and running. Even without the leak I would probably have had to change my appliance soon because the expanding ring was starting to cover a part of Bob, and this can't be good. 

You can see where the barrier extenders absorbed moisture as the little white specs, and the leak starting behind the barrier. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 22-25! 30 Day Running Challenge

Day 26! 30 Day Running Challenge

I Still Feel Like a Sloth!