Day 28! 30 Day Running Challenge

I am actually loving these guided runs on the Nike Run Club app, which had surprised me. I was always one to just go out and run on my own. I never used anyone's training plans but would instead just go run however I felt; I did do a multitude of runs being intervals, tempo runs, long runs, fartleks and hill repeats. But I did it in a way that was just this internal coach and listened to my body and my energy determined the type of run for that day. 
Today was my first guided "long run" which I put in quotations because it was "only" a little over three miles. Coming back to running after so many years of conditions, surgeries and complications that kept me from running, my ego had really taken a hit at first. I had to cope with the fact that I pretty much started from zero, my body is different in a way that makes me more tired and easily dehydrated...at least until I am completely recovered and back in shape lol which takes time, diligence in my workouts, resting appropriately and running consistently....it also means slowing down and starting with shorter, slower runs. When I first started this in February, I was so excited for my first run post surgery and thought I was gonna make this huge quick amazing comeback and start running again like I used to with just a little discomfort and effort in getting my endurance and strength back. This was how it always used to be when I took time off running: after my gallbladder removal though I was only 25 years old, again after my knee surgery at the age of thirty. And slightly again after my subtotal colectomy at age 35 though it was a little more difficult than the years prior. Then the year after with my hysterectomy and pelvic organ repairs I felt good enough to just get out and run again, though it was a bit harder to get my endurance back and I had switched over to running almost only speed intervals. After that I started to decline with my pelvic floor dyssynergia pain and complications with the previous colectomy that I couldn't run anymore. Now it's been a few years since I've been a runner or had even really worked out and felt strong. I came back from zero and had to work on accepting that. Running only a mile per day has really helped me in getting started slowly and without expecting too much from myself. Also, the Nike Run Club app is helping me to work up my mileage and increase my time. This app is helping me to remember how to train appropriately and I must say Coach Bennett is motivating! 
Today was much easier, I felt more comfortable in my run than I ever had since starting back. That first mile felt great, I'm no longer dying from just a mile! And before I knew it I was well into my second mile and feeling strong. I finished a little over 3.5 miles which is the longest I've run thus far. So now I'm proud to say I finished my first long run today. Soon I'll be ready to run a 5K race!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 22-25! 30 Day Running Challenge

Day 26! 30 Day Running Challenge

Days 19-21! 30 Day Running Challenge