The Pouching System that Works Best for Me!

 Finally, after five months of trying just about everything, I have found the right combo to work for me! This is what's worked the best for me so far, as I still have products to try and will be adding to my review pages in the upcoming weeks. Of course, this is my experience but it may work for others who have a stoma that retracts throughout the day/night and are active, sweat a lot, and/or swim.

This "perfect" combo has been taking me through my 3 consecutive twelve hour/day work shifts without a single leak, unlike the Hollister bags which leaked several times per day either from barrier leaks due to pancaking (1 piece), leaks from the roll-up end or where the bag attaches to the flange (2 piece). It also makes it through two consecutive swim days before the barrier extenders start to absorb water. This combo not only gets through work and swim days, I also have been working up a sweat daily with yard work, gardening, running, gym workouts, house work and long walks with Spot. Most recently, I got four consecutive days and nights and am currently on my fifth day, though I'm planning to change it today even if it doesn't leak because it is getting very itchy now. I put this on Saturday early morning before work and it is now Wednesday mid-afternoon! So let's get on with what this magical combo consists of:

I wanted to show all the products I use, as well as front and back of the Pouch, ring and barrier strips. I use the Convatec Sensi-care sting free adhesive remover, then wipe all around and the stoma with the Convatec Sensi-care sting free skin barrier. I feel like the skin barrier wipe is helpful in prepping the skin so the appliance lasts longer; also my skin is no longer itchy under the barrier until the fourth or fifth day (I have very sensitive skin!). I then put the Hollister 30mm convex ring around my stoma (#89530), then the 1 piece Sensura Mio light convex pouch by Coloplast (#16733), and finish with the Coloplast XL barrier extender strips. I make sure to put the strips all the way to the flange but under the belt loops, as close to the flange as I can. This keeps water from getting in between the barrier and strip so that the strip does not swell with water, and in turn will last longer without irritating the skin. After I cut the pouch to size for my stoma, I put the barrier part of my pouch under one armpit and the ring under my other armpit while I take my bag off and clean up my stoma and peristomal skin. This allows my body heat to activate the appliances so that they adhere better and more quickly when I put them on. After I put on the pouch, I make sure to massage all around and same with my barrier strips, then place my hands over my stoma bag for a few minutes to further heat activate and ensure I have a very good seal. One more tip, when I put the pouch on, I first put it over my stoma, lean back a bit to pull my skin more taut, and start from the bottom of the barrier placing on my skin and working to the top, which I have found gets the barrier on smoother without gaps. Even if it's not perfect, the XL barrier strips really help to fasten it down. 

This is how it all comes together, although I now am able to get the barrier strip down into my navel instead of cutting it and I also put the pouch on an angle so it's tilted toward the middle of my body which allows me to more easily tuck the bag into my clothes.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 22-25! 30 Day Running Challenge

Day 26! 30 Day Running Challenge

I Still Feel Like a Sloth!