NuHope Customized Appliance

 




I found out that NuHope makes pouches to fit you according to your stoma measurements, shape, and any necessary convexity. According to the manager I spoke to, this is what they are known for but I only learned about this because I had an issue with the pouches I ordered through my medical supplier. When I had to switch to convex barriers, I ordered the 1 3/8 barrier which is same size I have in flat but what they sent me was too small. Turns out NuHope appliances do not come with the larger size barrier in convex, and my supplier had an incorrect item description for it. In trying to figure this out, I was put in contact with management who said they could make me a customized appliance to suite my needs. I thought it may be helpful to explain this process for others.

You must take multiple pictures of your stoma from the front while standing with measuring tape, from the side while standing and the front and side while sitting and laying down. Since my stoma often retracts, I sent two sets of pictures so they could see both retracted and normal. The appliance that was made for me has convexity at the lower part of the barrier that sits at the underside of my stoma. I have not had a chance to really trial this yet, but I already see there may be an issue because I like to wear my pouch at an angle to keep it off my thigh and also make it easier to tuck into my clothing. I believe this pouch was made to wear straight and I didn't think to mention the way I wear my pouch before they constructed this for me. So I may have to try a slightly different shape to accommodate the angle I wear it while putting the convexity where it's needed. We will see how this one works out first, though. Below I will insert some of stoma pictures I sent to them so you can get a better idea of what they need. I sent a full set of my stoma without retraction and all the front pics and the only side was while angle laying down but here I will only post a mixed set (my retracted stoma makes prettier pictures but I added the side pics so you can see all the angles necessary). It still amazes me how much my stoma changes size and shape every day.

From the front while standing and with measuring tape

From the side while standing

From the front while sitting

From the side while sitting

From the front while laying down

From the side while laying down

From the side while laying down at an angle to show more of the stoma


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 22-25! 30 Day Running Challenge

Day 26! 30 Day Running Challenge

I Still Feel Like a Sloth!